…and I want to whine when I have a cold, so that is the topic of today’s rambling. Everyone likes to whine when they’re sick, don’t they?
Stages of a Cold
- The “Oh no, I will not get sick” stage, in which you ignore the soreness in your throat and pray to whatever deity you chose that you won’t be cursed with a seven to ten day affliction.
- The “Oh crap, I did get sick” stage, in which you give up your resistance and prepare to be miserable.
- The “Why aren’t you being nice to my while my nose drips on your?” stage, in which everyone around you hightails it for germ-free parts just when you desperately need some TLC.
- The “My nose hurts, my throat hurts…kill me now” stage, in which all things hurt and it’s utterly unfair that colds can make a person so miserable.
- The “It’d be nice if I could breathe properly, perhaps with my mouth closed” stage, in which you, well, can’t breathe properly.
- The “My cold’s going away! I’d do cartwheels if I wasn’t exhausted from having a cold” stage, in which you finally see the light at the end of the tunnel but still feel completely horrible.
- The “I solemnly vow to take all my vitamins and never go within ten feet of a sneezing person” stage, in which you’re well on the road to recovery and you make all sorts of resolutions about staying healthy that you know very well you’ll never keep.
- Breathe Right Nasal Strips — No, to my happy surprise, they are not just for snoring. I’ve never slept so good when I had a cold as I have when I use them. The only drawback, of course, is having a red, runny nose during the day doesn’t lend itself un-painfully to a super sticky thing stuck to the same skin. But it’s worth it. Oh so very worth it…
- Black Cherry Halls Cough Drops in Hot Tea — Sound strange? Yes, but it works. A super genius Twitter pal told me that her father always did it. Just get some water hot, drop a cough drop or two in a tea cup and pour the water on. I suppose it’s probably like TheraFlu, but I’ve never used that. But it clears out sinus passages so very well, I’m never not going to use it. I don’t know if I’d try it with every flavor of cough drop out there, but black cherry is delicious and super helpful!